Carlsberg has opened a brewery with zero-carbon emissions as it work towards becoming a carnon neutral company by 2030. The Sverige brewery runs on biogas and green electricity.

Carlsberg logoSome 26% of the brewery’s thermal energy comes from biogas created from the brewery’s waste water. The remaining 74% of energy, previously natural gas, is also biogas, thanks to a partnership with energy supplier Ørsted AB.

Carlsberg’s sustainability director, Simon Boas Hoffmeyer, said: “Climate change is perhaps the most important issue for our society today, both for citizens, governments and companies all over the world, and we are very pleased with the positive development in Carlsberg Sverige.”