Great British Bake Off is back this week and Yorkshire-based Little Valley Brewery is marking the occasion by releasing the recipe for a beer cake.
Developed by Little Valley Brewery’s master brewer and food scientist, Wim van der Spek, the recipe is the perfect boozy bake to try if you’re feeling inspired by the TV programme to hit the kitchen.
One hour and 45 minutes (30 minutes preparation and 75 minutes cooking)
- 100g butter
- 200g brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 200g flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 9g baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 250ml of Little Valley Brewery’s Stoodley Stout
- 100g walnuts
- 400g dates
- Mix sugar and butter in one bowl.
- Stir the egg with a fork and then add to the butter and sugar. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, sodium bicarbonate, allspice and cloves.
- Keep three spoons of the flour mix separate and add the rest to the butter, sugar and egg mix.
- Add the beer and mix carefully with the batter.
- Chop the walnuts. De-stone the dates and chop. Mix the remaining flour mix with the dates and walnuts. Add this to the batter and stir carefully.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Grease the 1lb loaf tin with butter and powder with flour. Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 75 minutes.
- Leave the cake to cool for ten minutes before removing the cake from the tin carefully.
- Wrap in foil and store in the fridge for one day to enrich the taste.
Serve a slice of cake with a glass of the remaining Stoodley Stout!